Feb. 22, 1931

Thriller surrounding the latest thefts of butter on the Swift and Co. produce plant was cleared up this morning when three younger males pleaded responsible to participation to the a number of particular fees. Willian Little and Reuben Soderquist admitted stealing 64 kilos of butter the night time of Feb. 9. Soderquist and Philo Hodges pleaded responsible to taking 64 kilos of butter on Jan. 21. Soderquist additionally pleaded responsible to an try and steal 100 kilos of butter the night time of Feb. 16, this event being when metropolis policemen chased some males seen in regards to the plant. Owing to refusal of a passing motorist to take patrolmen in chase of them they have been no captured that night time. Philo Hodges and Harold Shaffer pleaded not responsible on the try and steal cost and examination was set by Justice Andrew Carlson for Feb. 26 at 9 a.m. Bail was set at $200 every. Justice Carlson sentenced Soderquist to pay a high quality of $75 and $5 prices or spend 90 days in jail and Little to a high quality of $50 and $5 prices or 60 days in jail. Arrest of this group climaxed appreciable investigation by town police division.

Feb. 22, 1971

The 0.71 inches of precipitation that fell throughout the 24 hour interval earlier than 9:30 a.m. right this moment was a considerable quantity for February, inflicting a number of issues with utility strains within the space. The quantity surpasses different data of precipitation since 1965. February precipitation lately: 1965, 0.51 inches on Feb. 25; 1966, 0.44 inches on Feb. 9; 1967, 0.15 inches on Feb. 19, 1968, 0.62 inches on Feb. 1; 1969, 0.31 inches on Feb. 23; and 1970, 0.13 inches on Feb. 2. The primary downside with the rainfall was the ice which accrued on tree branches and phone and energy strains, disconnecting many space houses from energy sources. Michigan Bell Phone Co. reviews that almost all of their line repairs have been within the McBain-Lucas space the place ice on wires and heavy laden tree branches have pressured wires to fall. Check predominant Dale Banchard reviews that different repairs have been needed within the Fife Lake space, however that the southern finish of the area close to Reed Metropolis, Evart and Baldwin was not reporting as many incidents. Within the Cadillac space, Blanchard mentioned that service drop wires have been disconnected from houses because of the ice which shaped throughout the heavy rain. He mentioned the work drive often works on Saturday anyway, however he referred to as in a number of additional males. He thought issues could be fairly effectively settled by tonight. Customers Energy Co. reported being out all night time within the Cadillac space the place ice on energy strains and fallen tree branches had brought about energy line repairs. State police reported aspect roads as slippery and snow in Manistee.

Feb. 22, 1996

An lawyer who mentioned he would sue town of Cadillac over particular property tax evaluation to assist pay for groundwater cleanup within the industrial park mentioned he lastly is speaking with metropolis officers over an alternate answer. James Johnson, lawyer for the Mitchell Company, has filed an enchantment of the evaluation with the state Tax Tribunal, and had mentioned he would take different authorized motion as effectively. After a gathering with metropolis officers Monday, Johnson thanked them for inviting him. Johnson mentioned he’s “optimistic‘ that one thing may be labored out. “There definitely may be no decision with out communication and that course of has began,‘ Johnson mentioned. The particular assessments on business and industrial property in and across the industrial park will increase about $203,000 per 12 months to function a groundwater cleanup plant now being constructed. The plant will take away cancer-causing degreasers and chrome-plating supplies dumped into the bottom over many years. Mitchell Corp. is assessed $38,000 per 12 months, the best single evaluation as a result of they’re the most important property proprietor within the industrial park. The corporate’s property is assessed on the larger of the 2 charges, for land belonging now or prior to now to “doubtlessly accountable events.‘ PRP’s should pay 75% of the cleanup plant operation prices, whereas different property house owners pay the remaining 25% at a decrease fee. Property house owners within the tier with larger assessments can ask that town council contemplate transferring them to the decrease tier, and metropolis officers urged that Mitchell Corp. ask that. Johnson mentioned, although, that he wouldn’t be happy if Mitchell Company’s evaluation was diminished to the decrease fee. “The analogy I gave to town council is that’s like asking me if I’d somewhat be shot with a .357 magnum or a .22,‘ Johnson mentioned. Metropolis officers have mentioned they might not talk about the problem whereas courtroom motion is pending.