The on-track motion in Saturday evening’s Genesys 300 at Texas Motor Speedway noticed sparks and flames, a mirror of the excessive feelings between Jack Harvey and Graham Rahal nicely after Scott Dixon ended the evening in Victory Lane.
The 2 athletes shared a second on the backstretch halfway by means of the 212-lap race. Rahal, within the No. 15 Fleet Price & Care Honda, was monitoring down Harvey within the No. 60 AutoNation/Sirius XM Honda.
Exiting Flip 2, Rahal tried to cross Harvey on the within, however Harvey had begun to alter his line towards the within, as nicely. The 2 continued towards the underside of the racetrack, and Rahal dipped beneath the white line to keep away from hitting Harvey.
As they approached Flip 3, Rahal received the higher of the pair as Harvey backed off and let him have the place. INDYCAR race stewards dominated that the motion was a racing incident, and Rahal went on to complete fifth, Harvey seventh.
After the race, Rahal was livid with Harvey’s actions on the quick, 1.5-mile oval.
“I’ve a variety of respect for Jack, however we have to have a man-to-man discuss that,” Rahal stated. “He may see the run that I had was great, and we have been going to go by. You simply don’t have to danger anyone like that.
“And in addition, it harm him extra. It kills your momentum. One of the best factor to do is to raise somewhat bit and fall in line. I perceive he did the identical factor to Alex (Rossi) on the frontstraight, so we have to have a dialogue about it. I respect him lots, however we have to discuss it, for certain.”
Harvey, who drives for Meyer Shank Racing, was desirous to have a chat with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing driver Rahal, insisting that he did nothing incorrect within the incident. Harvey admitted he squeezed Rossi into the grass on the frontstretch and supposed to apologize to the Andretti Autosport driver. However he wasn’t ready to apologize to Rahal.
“I’m undecided why Graham’s not glad,” Harvey stated. “I’m nicely inside my proper to defend. Graham is aware of the place I’m at if he desires to come back and have a phrase. I believe a few of these guys generally are so used to our automotive being part-time or no matter that they assume they will simply come by us any time they need or no matter. I moved first … he nonetheless had room. He is aware of the place I’m.”
Rahal stated he wished to have a chat with Harvey earlier than the 2 took to the observe in Sunday’s XPEL 375 (5 p.m. ET, dwell on NBCSN and INDYCAR Radio Community).
Herta’s Yo-Yo Season Continues
Simply final Sunday, Colton Herta put a tricky race behind him and laid down a dominating efficiency to win the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
He’ll want to try this once more Sunday within the XPEL 375.
Whereas operating fifth within the late levels of the Genesys 300, Herta’s No. 26 Gainbridge Honda began experiencing brake points. Herta slowed taking place the backstretch and entered pit street. Upon getting into his pit field, his proper rear brakes caught hearth and ended Herta’s evening in Twenty second place.
“One thing distorted or melted one thing on the appropriate rear, as a result of as quickly as I went by means of (Turns) 1 and a couple of, the automotive simply received tremendous unfastened, and that was it,” Herta stated. “One thing is damaged, most likely attributable to the brakes, however I don’t know precisely what occurred.”
Herta opened the season at Barber Motorsports Park with a Twenty second-place end within the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama offered by AmFirst. He was concerned in a Lap 1 accident after Josef Newgarden spun and picked up a number of vehicles, together with Herta’s machine.
After that outcome, the younger American rebounded to guide 97 of 100 laps in St. Petersburg. He’ll look to do the identical Sunday within the XPEL 375, pulling his season yo-yo again upward.
Bourdais’ Robust Begin Ends in Wall
After scoring back-to-back top-10 finishes to open the 2021 NTT INDYCAR SERIES season, Sebastien Bourdais’ sturdy begin hit a wall Saturday in Texas.
On Lap 56 of the Genesys 300 at Texas Motor Speedway, Bourdais was operating sixth when a few vehicles bunched up in entrance him in Flip 2 attempting to organize themselves for a transfer to pit street. Bourdais eased off the throttle in his No. 14 ROKiT AJ Foyt Racing Chevrolet, however Josef Newgarden made contact with Bourdais’ automotive together with his hNo. 2 XPEL Workforce Penske Chevrolet and despatched him spinning into the surface wall. Bourdais was unharmed within the incident and completed twenty fourth.
Two-time champion Newgarden was penalized for avoidable contact and despatched to the rear of the lead-lap vehicles on the following restart.
“Only a actually robust break for the ROKiT No. 14 Chevrolet,” Bourdais stated. “We actually struggled in apply after we got here right here a number of weeks in the past, and actually struggled unhealthy this afternoon. The engineers did an incredible job (for the race). The automotive was really actually racy and fairly darn good.
“It simply slowed down, and Josef simply runs into the again of us for no cause, actually, and takes us out. I don’t know, man. It’s such a disgrace.”
The wreck ended a robust opening run Bourdais produced for A.J. Foyt Enterprises. He was considered one of simply 5 drivers to open the season with back-to-back top-10 finishes, alongside Scott Dixon, Marcus Ericsson, Will Energy and Rinus VeeKay.
What’s extra, together with his fourth-place end within the 2020 season finale and his fifth within the 2021 season opener at Barber Motorsports Park, the Frenchman delivered the legendary A.J. Foyt’s staff its first back-to-back top-five finishes in eight years.
Odds and Ends
- Together with his win within the Genesys 300, Scott Dixon broke a tie with A.J. Foyt for the variety of seasons with a win. The 2 legends have been tied at 18, however with Saturday’s win, Dixon prolonged the file to 19. Dixon additionally prolonged his private file for consecutive seasons with at the least one win to 17.
- James Hinchcliffe ended what was already a tricky day within the No. 29 Genesys Honda within the wall on Lap 160. After getting handed by the lead-lap automotive of Felix Rosenqvist, Hinchcliffe received unfastened within the wake of the No. 7 Vuse Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet and spun, making exhausting left-rear contact with the SAFER Barrier. He was unharmed within the accident and completed twenty third. Rosenqvist completed thirteenth.
- Marcus Ericsson was quietly having one of the constant begins to the season of anybody within the paddock. He entered Saturday’s race as considered one of simply 5 drivers to attain top-10 finishes within the first two races of the season, alongside Scott Dixon, Will Energy, Rinus VeeKay and Sebastien Bourdais. After operating within the high 10 many of the day, a late-race pit cease derailed his continued success when the No. 8 Huski Chocolate Chip Ganassi Racing Honda staff struggled to bolt on the appropriate rear tire. He fell one lap down and completed nineteenth.
- Two INDYCAR and Indianapolis 500 legends are paying it ahead this weekend in Texas. 4-time INDYCAR SERIES champion and three-time Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti is on the field for Alex Palou, serving to coach the brand new driver of the No. 10 NTT DATA Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. In the meantime, 1980 INDYCAR SERIES champion and fellow three-time “500” winner Johnny Rutherford is with Arrow McLaren SP this weekend. The staff ambassador is working with Pato O’Ward within the No. 5 Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet and Felix Rosenqvist within the No. 7 Vuse Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet.
- 2016 Indianapolis 500 offered by Gainbridge winner Alexander Rossi will shift Month of Could festivities into excessive gear Tuesday when he installs his driver road check in downtown Indianapolis. “Rossi Boulevard” will likely be put in on the west spoke of Monument Circle close to Market and Meridian Road.